Classically served with steak in a good steakhouse, Chimichurri is an incredible sauce that adds huge flavour to red meat. In fact, it replaces mint sauce for us because the last thing we want to do is cover expensive lamb with sugar, cheap vinegar & mint; we want to taste the lamb!
Pair this dish with our gorgeous Steak Rub to really take steak to new heights.
Marinate the steak for a few hours, overnight if possible, to really get the flavour of the Steak Rub into the meat. The Chimichurri needs a few hours to rehydrate too, so make up a batch of this up the day before to really allow the flavours to mingle.
These are also fab on crostini or bite-size bruschetta, served as canapés.
INGREDIENTS (Makes around 20 wraps)
- 2 steaks, your favourite cut, but we generally use sirloin
- 2 tsp Steak Rub
- splash of Rapeseed Oil
- 2 little gem or endive lettuces, leaves clicked off into little boats
- 50g feta cheese (optional)
- old school cress (optional, but do it!)
For the sauce
- 3 tsp Chimichurri Rub
- 2 tbsp White or Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 tbsp Rapeseed Oil or your favourite olive oil
- add a splash of oil to the Steak Rub, stir into a marinade & add the steak; cover & marinate overnight
- mix the Chimichurri sauce ingredients & leave to infuse for at least 3 hours; taste & balance to your liking with more vinegar or oil
- cook the steak to your liking, leave to rest for 5 minutes (important!)
- thinly slice steak, add a piece to each lettuce leaf & drizzle with the Chimichurri sauce
- crumble over the feta cheese if using & snip cress over everything
It’s easy to tweak according to taste:
- scatter over some toasted sesame seeds for extra bite
- stir fry some lamb leftovers instead of steak
- use mince or quorn instead of steak
- add a bit of sundried tomato to each