We’re such a fan of leftovers we often find ourselves buying bigger cuts of meat than we need just to have something to make the day after! One or two roast potatoes and a slice of meat is all we need for a delicious and quick lunch – and when you remember it’s free, it tastes even better!
There’s no rules but most include a few staples – potatoes, greens and whatever meat we have leftover.
- a slice or two of lamb, chicken or whatever, chopped into cubes
- a couple of roast or boiled potatoes, chopped into cubes
- a few greens, cabbage leaf or sprouts, finely sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced or crushed
- 1 tsp of either Steak rub, Spicy Taco rub, Chicken rub or a pinch of Magic BBQ Dust
- a drizzle of Aged Balsamic – any flavour will do
- heat a splash or oil in a pan and add the potatoes, frying gently for 4-5 mins
- add the onion, meat & the spice rub, toss & cook for another 3-4 mins
- add the greens & garlic & fry for 2 mins
- add a drizzle of the balsamic, toss for 30 secs to mix well & serve
If you have peppers or any other roast veg, or even a slice of bacon or anything else really, it can all go in. In fact, we didn’t have any greens leftover so, because we grow our own cabbages, I popped out & took the outer leaf of one of the savoys. Our golden rule is making sure we have around half root veg, potatoes, carrots, whatever you have. Using our spice rubs this way is an incredibly simple way to get huge flavour into leftovers and create a simple lunch in minutes.
To add an extra level of flavour & warmth, we usually add a drizzle of Smoked Chilli oil too when we serve, but it’s up to you!