Masala Chicken (mild)
Our Masala Chicken spice mix is very special to us. This started life as a regular Saturday night meal in our house because we wanted to cut out takeaways completely but still craved a curry on a Saturday.
Weekends are busy in our house; if we’re not at a show all day we still usually have a full day planned, so time is precious – we need something fast & with no fuss!
So, our Masala Chicken recipe was created to save time & money plus, most importantly, we know exactly what’s in it!
That was over two years ago. Since then, everyone that came to our house on Saturday got served Masala Chicken & everyone asked for the recipe, so we started making up spice pots for friends to take away with them. Finally, after months of tweaking & feedback, we’ve decided it’s just too good to keep to ourselves & we proudly set it free to share the love & start a new tradition in other households!
One important point though – anyone who knows us, knows we are not into long-winded or complicated recipes, so we have designed this blend so even a child could make a fabulous curry in a hurry – in fact, this recipe is a hit with our five year old.
The method is simple & serves 4-6 people:
- Sauté a diced onion for 5 mins. Add 2 tsp of Masala Chicken spice & sauté for 3 mins more. It’ll look quite dry at this point – don’t worry!
- Move to one side of the pan & add 1 diced chicken breast per person (or your favourite) & brown for 3 mins. Stir everything together well.
- Add 100ml water, 200ml crème fraîche (or natural yoghurt) & 40g ground almonds. Stir well.
- Simmer for 15 mins & serve. If it gets too dry, add a splash of water.
Using this recipe will give you the most incredible curry in just 15-20 mins. Quicker than a takeaway, cheaper & you know what’s in it!
Because you only need 2 tsp each time, one pot of Masala Chicken should give you enough for 3-4 meals for 2-4 people.
Of course it’s easy to tweak it – if you like it hotter, add a dried chilli or chilli powder to the mix, if you don’t have (or can’t eat) ground almonds, you can use desiccated coconut or some other ground nuts. We add chopped coriander & a few flaked almonds on top as we serve it, if we have them. Recently we’ve started using a pinch of our Gunpowder spice on top as we serve it.
As a delicious meat-free alternative, why not replace the chicken with roasted sweet potato or your favourite veg.
It works brilliantly with tofu as well. This is how we do it:
- Use 1 block of extra firm tofu, cubed & dried with kitchen towel
- saute for 5 mins, turning to brown on all sides
- finish baking in the oven for 12-15 mins to get crispy
- meanwhile, make the sauce as the main recipe but missing out step 2
- stir the crispy tofu into the sauce & serve
Like so many in our range, this is another that’s sugar-free, gluten-free, paleo & vegan too, so you can choose what to cook with it. With no fillers or anything artificial, our unique blend of herbs & spice create the purest, freshest flavour possible to give your food attitude.
This makes it ‘free’ on all the slimming plans we know of! If you want it to be ‘free’, use natural yoghurt instead of crème fraîche, and you may need to skip the almonds – opinions vary!
coriander, ginger, turmeric, paprika, cumin, garlic, garam masala [coriander, cumin, black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamon], cinnamon, cardamon, cayenne, salt
Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegan & Vegetarian
|Dimensions||70 x 70 x 52 mm|
Gluten Free, Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Zero added sugar