Baked beans are a staple in many British households but sometimes I want more zing and these Spicy Beans with attitude certainly deliver! This is a fantastically simple recipe and great for either ladling on a slice of toasted sourdough or as an interesting side to a BBQ. Try these with our Street Chicken and some spicy wedges for a real treat!
All the ingredients should be in your store cupboard already and it takes just minutes to prepare. Purists might suggest I should use ‘real’ beans instead of opening a tin but this is a supposed to be a spur of the moment, fairly instant meal. I don’t mind cutting corners for a quick lunch and neither should you. One final note on the ‘bean choice’ – I use the mixed beans as I prefer the variety and texture the 5 different beans give, but it’s up to you.
- 1 tin baked beans
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- generous pinch of cumin seeds
- splash of rapeseed oil
- small bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 fresh green chilli, finely chopped (deseed if you prefer)
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger (a pinch of dried if you don’t have fresh)
- fry the diced onion in the oil for 2 mins then add the cumin seeds, chilli, garlic & ginger; fry for another 2 mins
- add the beans, stir well and cook for 5 mins to heat through; add a touch of water if they start to dry out
- stir in the coriander right at the end, then serve
- you didn’t really expect 4 steps to this, did you? 😉
Feel free to personalise too – I often add a pinch of Spicy Taco mix when I’m frying the onions if it’s handy.