We’re big fans of spicy noodle broths and one made with leftovers is even better in our book. Quick, simple to prepare and virtually free it can be made with what should be store cupboard ingredients. Either keep it simple for a light lunch or add a few more things for a more substantial meal. After you’ve eaten it, you’ll still feel light and alive!
We used duck this time as we’d got some leftover but it’s equally tasty with prawns, chicken, seafood or simply any vegetables you might have. A few slivers of raw fish would be perfect too as they’d cook when the liquid is poured over them. Even a few flakes of leftover smoked mackerel scattered over at the end will taste incredible! We usually keep a bag in the freezer of suitable bits and add any small handfuls of raw veg leftovers. It’s amazing how a few mange tout, a spear of asparagus and a couple of pak choi leaves can quickly turn into a full meal!
We’re definitely eating more of this sort of food this summer. It’s healthy, cheap and incredibly versatile.
The soy, lime and Togarashi will give it the salty, sour and hot experience present in oriental cuisine and the peppers and mange tout will provide that hint of sweetness to balance everything nicely. But seriously, don’t over examine it or be too fussy, just chuck a few things in a bowl, add the hot Miso and noodles and experiment!
- a few slices of duck, chicken, prawns or anything you fancy
- leftover raw veg: mushroom, pepper, mange tout, pak choi, etc is perfect but use what you have, all finely chopped
- 1 nest of dried egg (or rice) noodles
- 1 sachet Miso soup powder (or a nice stock cube)
- juice of 1 lime (keep a bottle of lime juice in the fridge for emergencies!)
- 3/4 pint hot water
- dash of soy sauce
- pinch of chilli powder or flakes (optional)
- pinch of Togarashi if you like it with more bite
- add the raw veg & leftover meat to a deep soup bowl
- add everything else to a saucepan & bring to the boil
- as soon as it’s boiled, turn off the heat, stir & cover for 2-3 mins
- pour it over the raw veg & leftover meats, stir again & enjoy!