We love muesli & granola but the problem with store-bought varieties is usually the amount of hidden sugar in them; it’s like having dessert for breakfast! So we thought we’d kick it up a notch & make our own – once you’ve tried our Superfood Granola Dust, you’ll see how simple & delicious it is.
There are so many different way to mix this up, but we usually have a core recipe which we tweak according to what we have in, which keeps things more interesting than the same thing every day.
Oats are really good for you as well – they’re low GI so you feel fuller for longer, plus they help to lower cholesterol levels. Have these hot or cold; they’re also great for overnight oats. Add a splash more milk than you think you’ll need as they tend to soak up the liquid really well & they’re better loose than stodgy.
As with most of our recipes, this is the base – there’s so many variations on this so it’s easy to tweak it & make it your own. If there’s something you don’t have or don’t like, leave it out & substitute something else.
INGREDIENTS (Makes enough for the whole month)
- 1kg plain rolled oats
- 250g mixed nuts, whatever you like
- 250g dates, cranberries, apricots, whatever you like
- 40g Goji berries, Mulberries & Inca berries
- 60g Raw Cacao powder
- 70g Chia seeds
- 70g Pumpkin seeds
- 40g Lucuma or Maca powder
- 10g Vanilla Powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp instant coffee (leave out if the children are having it too)
- in a large baking tray, mix the oats & nuts, then gently roast for 20 mins in a low oven (170-180c)
- remove from oven, add everything else & mix well
- leave to cool, then blitz in a food processor in batches until desired texture – we prefer it fairly fine, but not completely into powder
- transfer to an airtight container
- to eat, add a few spoonfuls to a bowl & just cover with hazelnut milk (or your fave), stir well & top with berries, chopped banana or thick yoghurt